At Blattner, we are powered by our people and driven by our values. We build more than just renewable energy projects. We build great careers! If you want a career that always changes, challenges and rewards, you belong at Blattner.
Benefit Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Education Requirements: Junior year of college. Currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Occupational safety/health or related degree.
Position Summary: The Site Safety Coordinator Intern will assist the Safety Coordinator in planning, implementing and supervising project safety, assure accident and fire protection programs are in compliance with corporate, federal, state, and local program standards. Approximately 65% of work time should be spent in the field conducting audits, crew visits, subcontractor visits, etc.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists and collaborates with site supervisory personnel to identify and remedy unsafe working conditions, immediately, if necessary, in establishing an injury free work site.
- Conducts regular walk through inspections and audits of construction area.
- visits with the crews and subcontractors to ensure safe work practices.
- assists in the investigation of all accidents and near misses with the trade superintendents and required foremen and crew.
- accompany all safety, health, and insurance inspectors on walk through tours; and ensure all documentation is completed according to corporate and outside safety processes and procedures.
- Ensures that communication with other personnel and owners are executed in such a manner that integrity, honesty, and ethics are prevalent in all exchanges both verbal and written.
- Participate in daily (at a minimum) project safety related discussions with the Safety Coordinator, Site Manager, Assistant Site Manager, and Trade Superintendents.
- Collaborates with site safety and corporate safety representatives in reviewing all safety documentation to ensure all required records and reports are complete, accurate, and submitted timely.
- Ensures appropriate corrective actions are implemented in a timely manner.
- Ensures and assists the site team with executing the site safety program, which includes training and orientations, JHA's, and CATS observations throughout the project site.
- Assists in changing behavior oriented towards safety. Teaching (vs. telling) in a manner that allows individuals to understand the reasoning behind the behaviors we desire.
- Follows through with injury management and collaborate with supervisors to mitigate claims and exposure to costs with personnel, subcontractors, and equipment.
- Maintains working relationships with local EMT's, fire departments, law enforcement officials, and identified occupational physicians.
- Complies with company's Return-to-Work policy.
- Works to make safety a behavior rather than a policy or goal we look to adhere to.
- Participates in Blattner Energy safety related training programs to include OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 hour trainings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to recognize imminent danger and act accordingly.
- Possess a valid driver's license and an acceptable motor vehicle driving record (MVR).
- Ability to give presentations to large groups of employees.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Microsoft Project, Outlook, Visio).
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks.
- Possess effective oral, presentational, and written communication skills.
- Be independently motivated and have supervisory skills.
- Must be willing and able to climb a wind turbine.
- Able to relocate to the community of each construction project site assigned for the duration of the internship.
We are a unique team of talented, passionate and dedicated individuals. Experience the power of Blattner.