Summary of Position: Incumbent will lead a department of tool room technicians to use critical thinking and troubleshooting skills to setup/troubleshoot/repair/maintain various tooling for rotary and flatbed thermoformers. Through the use of acquired knowledge, experience, training and practice, performs tasks, services, and makes technical decisions related to the Thermoforming Tool Room and tooling processes. Must have the ability to lead a team and work will within a team or group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
1. Manage/Lead the tool room activities and tooling technicians in 24/7 manufacturing operation.
2. Promote and Maintain a Safe Working environment within the tool room and while operating in the manufacturing facility.
3. Perform and document measurements on new and in process tooling. Maintain tolerances to avoid poor quality products.
4. Ability to use precise measuring devices, calipers, micrometers equipment and provide necessary tooling measurements. Understand use of AutoCAD/Solid Works and ability to read engineering documentation and blueprints.
5. Prepare and maintain reports according to tooling inventories, tooling measurements and pertaining procedures.
6. Develop and maintain response programs, (tooling damage corrective action).
7. Manage, Monitor and adjust stock inventories of new tooling, in process tooling.
8. Collaborate with suppliers on quality issues, specifications, etc.
9. Research new products or alternative products for supporting tool room.
10. Perform all duties in support of Sonoco's quality policy.
11. Perform all duties as designated by supervisor/manager and/or by the position description.
12. Investigates problems identified by Thermoforming Supervisor(s), and Operators to prevent adverse operating conditions from occurring.
13. Periodically reviews Tooling procedures to ensure work performed is in accordance with Company and safety standards.
14. Oversees the Specification, sourcing, and installation of new and replacement Tooling.
15. Must be self-motivated and capable to perform job duties with minimal Supervision.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
Develops and implements maintenance schedules for preventative, overhaul and rebuilding of tooling with, shift Tooling Technicians, Thermoforming Operator, Supervisor and/or Production Manager.
Communicates updates and changes with shift Tooling Technicians, Thermoforming, Supervisor and/or Production Manager.
Resolves tooling issues to achieve a productive and team-oriented environment.
Organize and schedule maintenance routines for tooling PM's.
Develop and maintain knowledge of process and materials utilized in the department.
Support training of technicians and operators in measurements procedures, cleaning techniques & tooling care.
Research new products or alternative products for supporting tool room.
Communicates with departments to maximize safety, quality and production.
Communicates management policies to employees.
Gives feedback to reporting Supervisors and Managers on Intermediate and Entry Level Tooling Processing Technicians annual and probationary reviews.
Maintains quality standards.
Understands the quality management system as it relates to the quality standards at PPC.
Completes corrective actions as assigned.
Promotes workplace safety through safety programs, training and taking corrective action to prevent injuries.
Perform special assignments/projects and other Duties as assigned by Direct Manager/Plant Manager
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any legally protected characteristic.